Wednesday, 20 February 2008

Progress on My TIP

So far I have done the following:

  • Given my initial survey to my students.
  • Administered the initial reading inventory to all the kids.
  • Compiled the statistics on all the RC quizzes that have been taken during the first semester.

What remains to be done:

  • Next week I hope to begin my video-taped interviews.
  • By the end of next week, all the classes should have taken their second reading inventory.
  • Conduct the final survey to see how student attitudes have changed during the last 20 weeks.
  • Create charts for the results of all the collected data.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the insight into the dollars required. That is quite a lot of mooolah. But, hey, international schools are the place where money is no object, right? ha ha.

Anyway, just wondering what is meant by "reading inventory".

I think it'll be interesting for you to see how attitudes have been affected by your program. How many questions are you planning on asking them? 10? 20?

Also, what is the reason for doing a video interview? Is it to gather footage for your multimedia presentation? I think it'd be great for that.

Matt K. said...

Hi Chris,

The reading inventory is just a test that measures how well a kid reads. Ours is another Scholastic product. It’s called SRI. It basically gives the students a series of passages that get harder or easier based on their responses to reading comprehension questions. A student’s score is a number that can be matched to books in the school library.
The video interview is just a way of recording the kids’ reactions to 4-5 open ended questions like, “How do you feel about RC?” I wanted to supplement my surveys with footage that allows the kids to expound in a less structured way when compared to my student surveys.

Thanks for the input.